The inert gas for your cryogenic, heat transfer, shielding, leak detection, analytical and lifting applications
Helium is found in minute proportions in the atmosphere, less than 0.001% in air. It can also be found in a certain number of natural gas fields, where it results from the natural radioactive decay of heavy elements in the earth’s crust, in particular, uranium and thorium. It is helium extracted from the natural gas fields where the concentration is greater than 0.1% which is sold in liquid and gaseous forms today.
The extremely low temperature of liquid helium is used to maintain the superconducting properties of magnets in applications such as Magnetic Resonance Imagery (MRI), Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, and particle physics research. Gaseous helium is used as an inert shielding gas in metal arc and laser welding. It is also used as a coolant to transfer heat effectively, thanks to its high thermal conductivity, in the fibre optics and electronics industries. It serves as a carrier gas for gas chromatography (GC) in analytical laboratories and as a leak detection gas in a wide range of industries. Being both lighter than air and non-flammable, helium is used to inflate both balloons and airships.
Air Products offers liquid helium and compressed helium gas in a variety of purities and in various modes of supply around the world thanks to our network of storage and transfill facilities.
Air Products Is A World-Leading Helium Supplier
- Pioneer of many of the helium extraction, production, distribution, and storage technologies still in use today
- Most diverse helium source mix in the world (LNG, methane and CO₂)
- Global distribution network using the highest performing storage tanks
- Helium experts provide world-class service and assistance with a commitment to quality
- Industry-recognized safety record
Interested in helium for your application?
Let our applications specialists help you understand the benefits of using helium in your operation.
Balloonium® Integra® Cylinders — Easier and Safer to Use
- Lightweight, up to 50% lighter than traditional cylinders
- Quick-connect balloon inflators for a click-and-go solution
- Contents gauge which shows how much gas is left, even when the valve is turned off, allowing you to plan jobs quickly and effectively
- Safer, lower operating pressure thanks to built-in regulator
- Greater gas capacity, meaning fewer cylinders, deliveries and reduced handling costs
Cylinders & Hard Goods
The traditional solution for low-volume gas supply. Cylinders can be supplied in a full range of sizes, pressures and gas purities for a range of gases and gas mixtures. Search our extensive network of distributors in the U.S. and parts of Canada for your cylinder and hard goods supply needs.
For Magnetic Resonance Imagery (MRI) and other cryogenic applications, Air Products supplies liquid helium in 60, 100, 250 and 500 liter ruggedly constructed and super-insulated dewars.
ISO containers are used for the transport of both hazardous and non-hazardous bulk liquids. Their intermodal design enables them to be used for multiple means of transport, notably truck or ship.
Air Products supplies bulk quantities of high-pressure gases and gas mixtures shipped in tube trailers which can be stored at the customer site. This storage system typically consists of a number of high-pressure steel vessels that are manifolded together.
Our Safety Data Sheet (SDS) library allows you to search and find the SDS you need--in the language you select.