Ultra Low Temperature (ULT) freezers
Utilising an innovative heat exchange system that runs on liquid nitrogen, the Variō Series Freezer is able to maintain a user-defined temperature (+/- 5°C) anywhere between -20°C and -150°C. This environmentally-friendly freezer can accommodate up to 94,500 2.0 ml vials.
The Variō Series offers many distinct advantages over traditional ultra-low mechanical freezers and a significant operating cost saving. It operates on just 1% of the electricity of a mechanical freezer and can result in an overall decrease in operating costs by up to 70%.
There are significant sample security and stability advantages with the Variō freezers. With traditional -80°C mechanical freezers internal temperature will increase so drastically if the door is open for just 3 minutes that sample temperature can increase by as much as 10°C. In comparison the Variō series offers consistent internal temperatures even when the lid is open. It also offers much longer hold times than traditional ultra-low mechanical freezers. For instance, if the liquid nitrogen supply is removed or interrupted it will take 4 days for the internal temperature to rise from -80°C to -60°C. In contrast if the power supply is removed from a mechanical freezer it will warm up by the same amount in just 6 hours.
Photo courtesy of Chart Industries, Inc. Copyright 2018. Used with permission, all rights reserved.
What are the Benefits of Air Products' ULT Freezers?
- Approximately 70% operating cost savings compared to leading mechanical freezers (-80°C)
- Less than 1% of the electricity consumption compared to leading mechanical freezers (-80°C)
- Consistent temperature profile, even with lid open
- Improved processing time, minimal increase in temperature when warm samples are introduced into the cryogenic freezer
- No thermal load; no heat introduced into room and no additional HVAC required. No expensive compressors to replace
- Greater safety margin (LN2 removed until -60°C)
- 4 days from -80°C
- 9 days from -150°C
Ask the Expert
Product Manager - Life Science