2020 Sustainability Goals
In 2016, Air Products set 12 sustainability goals with a closing date of 2020. By the end of 2020, we met most of the goals across our Grow-Conserve-Care framework. Specifically, we:
- Led the industrial gas industry in profitability, with the highest adjusted EBITDA margin* and adjusted Operating margin* in the industry.
- Enabled customers to avoid CO₂ emissions while contributing >50% of revenues from sustainable offerings.
- Achieved 100% training and certification in our Code of Conduct.
- Improved our compliance and governance systems.
- Reduced the energy use intensity of our ASUs by 3.3%, exceeding our goal of 2.5%. We were unable to achieve our goal of reducing energy use intensity for our hydrogen/carbon monoxide (HyCO) plants due to lower product demand in 2020.
- Reduced greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions intensity by 2.6%, surpassing our goal of 2%.
- Improved distribution efficiency and reduced CO₂ emissions intensity by 20%, exceeding our goal of 10%.
- Conserved water and lowered use intensity by 28%, exceeding our goal of 5%.
- Led the industrial gas industry in safety as measured by our safety rates.
- Continued our efforts to build the most diverse and inclusive workforce in the industrial gas industry.
- Enhanced our ability to measure the positive impact of community engagement.
- Added Conflict Minerals clauses to our supplier requirements.
Our New Sustainability Goals
As our 2020 goals were nearing completion, Air Products developed new Sustainability Goals. These new goals reflect our priorities in sustainability and stakeholder input and are aligned with our overarching company goal to be the safest, most diverse, and most profitable industrial gas company in the world, providing excellent service to our customers. Several of the goals are continuations of our 2020 goals, while others are new commitments reflective of our sustainable growth strategy.