Air Products is a premier provider of turnkey solutions to convert hydrocarbon feedstock into synthesis gas for high-value products and power. Through our acquisition of the Shell and GE gasification technologies, our teams draw upon the experience gained from designing approximately 500 gasifiers. Our proven gasification technologies take a full range of lower-value feedstocks and convert them in a lower-emission manner into syngas, which is then used by our customers to make higher-value products.
Lu'An Clean Energy Company
Changzhi, Shanxi Province, China
- Scope: Long-term supply of syngas from coal gasification. Air Products process includes:
– Four 3,000 ton-per-day (tpd) Air Products dry-feed gasifiers with syngas coolers, the largest single dry-feed gasifiers at the time of being put into operation
– Syngas clean-up system
– Four air separation units (ASU) producing >16,000 tpd of oxygen and nitrogen
- Customer End Products: 1 mmpta coal to liquid—one of China's landmark clean energy demonstration projects
- Ownership: Joint venture (JV) between Air Products (60%) and Lu'An (40%)
- Cost: $1.3 billion
- Contract: Customer pays fixed monthly fee and provides coal
- Status: Onstream
– The gasifiers, which represent the largest pulverized coal gasifiers adopting Shell's proven gasification technologies, have been delivering outstanding performance in feedstock input, gases output, carbon conversion rate and operational efficiency.
– Gasifiers ramped up quickly in plant loading rate with a consecutive running record of 212 days for a single gasifier realized within one year since start-up, nearly 95% of plant availability rate was achieved in 2019.
– Carbon conversion rate of >99% was delivered in 2019 for high ash anthracite as feed.
Jazan Economic City, Saudi Arabia
- Scope: Long-term supply of hydrogen, nitrogen, steam and electricity from gasification of vacuum residue. Air Products process includes:
– ~3.8 GW IGCC
– Six ASUs producing >75,000 tpd of oxygen and nitrogen
- Customer End Products: Refined oil products
- Ownership: JV between Air Products (46%), ACWA Power (25%), Saudi Aramco (20%) and Air Products Qudra, a majority-owned JV with Qudra Energy (9%)
- Cost: ~$11.5 billion
- Contract: Customer pays fixed monthly fee and provides vacuum residue
- Status: Financial closing expected fourth quarter of calendar year 2020