Air Products Will Exit Energy-From-Waste Business
Our Tees Valley facilities (Tees Valley 1 and 2) located in the Northeast of England use advanced plasma gasification energy-from-waste technology, a technology that has the potential to revolutionize the waste-to-energy sector. The Tees Valley facilities are the first of their kind in the UK, and the largest of their kind anywhere in the world.
The facilities are to:
- Generate approximately 49.9MW of electricity per plant, enough to provide electricity to the equivalent of over 100,000 homes
- Divert over 350,000 tons per plant a year of non-recyclable waste from landfill
- Provide an environmentally responsible means of producing reliable “baseload” electricity
- Help the country and region to achieve renewable energy targets and reduce landfill
- Create over 1500 construction jobs in the Tees Valley area while helping to stimulate the local economy
- Provide over 100 technical job opportunities in the renewable energy sector
TV1 and TV2 facilities, aerial view (October 2014).